Saturday, July 25, 2015

Glasgow 2014 One year on: A Clyde-Sider reflects

It’s hard to believe that it’s already been a year since the 20th Commonwealth Games came to Glasgow! Today would have seen me trying to tread water again with my second shift as a photo team member at the weightlifting in the Clyde auditorium (or as you may also know it, the Armadillo)

I won’t lie, it was nerve wracking. I felt a little out of my depth a times and I think it was because I didn’t really know what I was getting into. But after the second shift, I think I finally settled into things and realised that for the most part, it was just being me and trying to be as helpful to the photographers as possible. After all, some of these guys had just come back from the world cup in Rio and have probably photographed some other high profile events. Then there’s me who’s never done this sort of thing before. At least one us knew what we were doing…I think anyway. Either that or someone’s been lying to me…

I think the other thing for me was that I had no idea about anything about weightlifting. In fact, I’d say, for the most part, I still don’t! I think what still gets me is that, yes people may have been there for a specific lifter, but how they all seemed to get right behind all of the participants and how it all became a bit pantomime from the crowd. When a lift was approved (“good lift”) the crowd seemed to go wild, but as soon as it was regarded as “no lift” I was sure some times the crowd was looking for the judges blood.

vhari_l-20150725-0002 There is one lifter who sticks in my mind. That was Daniel from Niue in the 105+ kg category final. It was his last lift in the clean and jerk and the audience had fallen silent, as they did every time as a lifter stepped up to the bar. Before his lift he cried out, in what seemed a distant voice in the large space “Glasgow I need your help”. And when he started that lift, did the crowd back him? Of course they did. Sadly he never made the lift but it always sticks in my mind.

Looking back, it does seem, to a certain extent, a little surreal. It’s the first time that I’ve been involved in something this big. It may not have been the same for everyone but remember coming home on the train, and yes, they might have been crowded, but it seemed that the party atmosphere carried on. It was getting to Dalmarnock station and seeing the athletes/coaches jumping on board and expecting that to be the norm after the Games.

Glasgow 2014 Weightlifting @ Clyde Auditorium, 31st July 2014I didn’t think that I would enjoy volunteering again after a bad experience in my past. But I think that the Games were probably one of the best things to happen to me. I’ve caught the volunteer bug again, and whilst I’m limited in my involvement due to work (most opportunities happening at the weekend) I have recently got involved with a local charity and looking forward to getting started with that. I met loads of wonderful people across my time there and some have become friends. I hope that in the future that I get to take part in something as spectacular as this again. It’s certainly some thing that will live with me for the rest of my life.

No comments: