Wednesday, July 01, 2015

On the big screen: Mr Holmes

Mr-Holmes2 When I saw the trailer for Mr. Holmes, I was intrigued by what it was going to be like though I was quite willing to wait until it was available to buy before seeing it. But on a rare Saturday night out, I found myself watching the very film.

We all have that image of Sherlock Holmes in our head: the deerstalker & the pipe, but what we have in Mr Holmes is none of that (apparently that image was conjured up by none other than Doctor. Watson who wrote the tales). No, here in Mr Holmes we have the 93 year old retired Holmes returning from a trip to Japan and turning his thoughts to the case that caused him to retire while battling with his senility.

mr-holmes-movie I was expecting the film to be more a narrated flashback where in actual fact we’re presented with him recalling the fateful case while almost aiding Roger (Milo Parker, who I think we’ll be hearing more of in the future and is one to watch) solve the case of the dying bees in the apiary which, to all ends, shows a side of Holmes that is rarely portrayed in adaptations: a caring side. The last person in the ‘main’ trio is Laura Linney, who plays the frustrated housekeeper & mother to Roger, Mrs Munro. Ian McKellen’s portrayal both as the 93 year old & his 30 years younger self are brilliant, even if, for me, I could see hint of old Gandalf there (and hopefully this might get a nod come award season!)

mr-holmes-alexandre-taleb-5 I’ve seen quite a few BBC Films (apparently they’ve been making them for 25 years!) but this for me as a film felt a little dragged out for it’s 104 min run time. For me, I could have seen this being made into a series and being shown on Sunday night, maybe as three part-er and it bringing in the viewers. But as a film it seemed a little long.

So in short: catch it just now if you must but it might be a case that can wait until it’s released later in the year.

No comments: